This unit features 480 acres of alluvial crop land with half of it under modern pivot overhead irrigation. On the center’s irrigated lands, Division of Agriculture research and extension faculty conduct applied research projects and “hands-on” demonstrations for the major Northeast Arkansas crops of soybeans, corn, wheat, sorghum and rice along with specialty crops of peanuts and sesame.
The tract was the site of Erwin Auxiliary Army Airfield, built in 1942 and used for training and military exercises during World War II. It was deactivated in 1949. The X-shaped runways and taxiways still exist. The tract was deeded to the University of Arkansas Board of Trustees in October 1959 and was formerly known as the Beef Substation. The substation was closed in 1993 and reopened in 2005.